Thursday, December 4, 2008

Next post from Nanjing, China

It's the night before we leave. Our bags are packed and waiting by the door. Today the 4th grade went to the Sterling Mine. It is not an active mine but they put mannequins to show what they did before they closed the mine. One thousand feet of the mine was flooded because they used to have a pump that pumped out the water so it didn't flood when they were working. When they stopped the mine they stopped the pump and it flooded. One person used to push the mine cart contents onto a grid. Below the grid was a rock grinder that ground the rocks. If a stone was too big for the grid, it could not be broken down so a person had to stand on the Ibeams and lift the rock out. Once someone fell in. Then they made a hook for protection.
It was a really interesting trip. I love 4th grade! 
What a great day before my trip!
My next post will be from Nanjing, China. Nanjing is the captial of the Jiangsu Province. There are 6.24 million people living in Nanjing. Archeologists found humans lived in Nanjing 300,000 years ago and villages occupied Nanjing 6,000 years ago. We will be staying near the Drum Tower which was built in the 1300's. 
I'll be posting photographs from Nanjing.

Breeda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Breeda

I enjoyed reading about your school trip to the mines. Did you know my father was a coal miner? The town where his grew up in in Ireland is called Coalisland. No points for guessing where they came up with that name :-)

Hope you have safe travels. Looking forward to your updates. Say hi to Mummy & Daddy for me.

Joan
San Francisco

Anonymous said...

breeda
I was wondering about your flight and I hope you blog tomorrow.

Catherine I.

p.s I like pickles

Anonymous said...

I'm at my aunt's and uncle's house. Were are you Breeda.

Catherine


P.S Hi